The most frightening verse in the Bible (at least for me)

www.christianpost.com | 4/18/2019 | Staff
ArceusArceus (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cdn.christianpost.com/files/original/thumbnail/23/07/230792.jpg

I can still recall a conversation I had many years ago while I was still on the faculty at Westminster Theological Seminary. A recent graduate came back to visit the campus and felt strongly that he needed to let me know, in no uncertain terms, how I had failed him in his preparation for gospel ministry.

He was a pastor now, for several months, and was called by God to “contend for the gospel,” which is sort of code for pursuing debate with fellow pastors, elders, and congregants to make sure the appropriate level of precise theological orthodoxy was being maintained.

Teaching - Style - Theology - Polemicists - Students

My own teaching style and theology were not oriented toward training polemicists. I was more interested in exploring the Bible with my students and encouraging them to let the Lord surprise them through a careful and alert reading of the text–wherever that would lead.

You can see where this was going. My style was the very problem for this student, who took the time to seek me out and let me know. He became quite belligerent–even a tad condescending. I asked him to consider whether the Bible might have a thing or two to say about whether contending and debating without ceasing was the best way to spend one’s life in service to God’s people.

Love

“What about love?” I asked.

Originally posted at PeteEnns.com.

Exchange - Lot - Years - State - Vigilance

That brief exchange has come to mind a lot over the years. To live in a near constant state of theological vigilance, ready to strike down a brother or sister for (perceived) theological failings seemed not only a colossal waste of the one life God has given us, but at odds with what the Bible makes a big deal of.

Which brings me to my most frightening verse – actually two – 1 John 4:7-8:

Beloved

Beloved, let us love one another, because...
(Excerpt) Read more at: www.christianpost.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!
A pox on both their houses!
Tagged: