Star Wars Celebration is a Reminder That Fandom is Far Healthier, and Far More Positive, Than the Internet Would Lead You to Believe

/Film | 4/18/2019 | Caroline Cao
fofo (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://d13ezvd6yrslxm.cloudfront.net/wp/wp-content/images/Star-Wars-Celebration-2019.jpg

If you’re into the famous space opera franchise that is Star Wars, you have probably heard of the Star Wars Celebration fan gathering. Whether you had the time and money to attend is another question. But anyhow, I was at a place in my life where I could fly over to Chicago, Illinois for the 2019 edition.

I am overall a loner when it comes to any convention or comic con experience. I like meeting up with fans, some of whom I have met online and podcasted with, and I haven gotten to know my cool hotel roommates and their Game of Thrones love. But I attend events unaccompanied for the most part.

State - Wallet - Merch - Exhibition - Floor

With the state of my wallet, the merch on the exhibition floor was there for me to gaze at rather than have. Collectables, action figures of Rey and Luke Skywalker, patches, fashion – I wanted it all. Cosplayers dressed like robed Jedi, cloaked Siths, rebels, armored Mandalorians, droids, supporting players, and background incidentals. Some costumes are tailored to the canon, and some have their insane modifications, like a tuxed-up Kylo Ren seeking to take Rey to the prom. Unfortunately, I could not cosplay — unless you count my cheap green sweater from Amazon as a flimsy attempt to resemble the Jedi Kanan Jarrus from Star Wars Rebels.

Each fan has their different origin story about how they came to love Star Wars. Me, my late father introduced me to the Prequel Trilogy and I slowly became beholden to the space fantasy myths and its fiery characters fighting for justice. Many fans came for the trailer of the final movie of the Skywalker Saga, some fans come for the action figures, some came to learn about the new Galaxy Edge theme park land in California, some wanted sneak peeks of the...
(Excerpt) Read more at: /Film
Wake Up To Breaking News!