RevGalBookPals: Burnout

RevGalBlogPals | 4/18/2019 | Staff
chicana948 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://revgalblogpals.files.wordpress.com/2019/04/51ch2nslwil._sy346_.jpg

I just finished a huge writing project. My last edit was done in my pajamas, with unwashed hair and sweaty armpits. When I got in the shower after hitting the big SEND, I began to wonder why I didn’t feel relieved. Then I remembered what I read in Burnout: The Secret to Unlocking the Stress Cycle:

Completing my writing project told my brain that I had just cleared a huge hurdle, but all the rest of my body knew was that we had been staying up late, pacing, stressing about wording, and panicking as a deadline came and went. I need to complete my stress cycle, expending energy and telling my body systems that we were no longer on high alert.

Failure - Stress - Cycle - Bodies - Hormones

The failure to complete the stress cycle causes our bodies to hold onto the hormones and internal stressors that cause significant difficulties to our bodies, especially over the course of our lives. Burnout is not just another book, selling self-care. It is actually a book talking about the science of what it means to be chronically stressed and how that affects us and shortens our lives.

I appreciate that the authors noted the commodification of self-care. They also make an effort to offered modified options for completing the stress cycle. Not everyone is capable of going for a long run, but most of us can practice tensing and releasing muscles, laughing, having a good cry, or spending time with positive companions.

Reality - Book - Systems - Western - Dominance

The other reality of this book is that it acknowledges the systems of (mostly Western) patriarchal dominance and oppression that cause our burnout cycles. Rarely do we desire to be exhausted. It is, instead, a systemic...
(Excerpt) Read more at: RevGalBlogPals
Wake Up To Breaking News!