Pope To Priests: Learn From The "Crowd"

whispersintheloggia.blogspot.com | 4/18/2019 | Rocco Palmo
mel4 (Posted by) Level 4
Pope To Priests: Learn From The "Crowd"

The Gospel of Luke, which we just heard, makes us relive the excitement of that moment when the Lord made his own the prophecy of Isaiah, as he read it solemnly in the midst of his people. The synagogue in Nazareth was filled with his relatives, neighbours, acquaintances, friends… and not only. All had their eyes fixed on him. The Church always has her eyes fixed on Jesus Christ, the Anointed One, whom the Spirit sends to anoint God’s people.

Gospels - Image - Lord - Midst - Crowd

The Gospels frequently present us with this image of the Lord in the midst of a crowd, surrounded and pressed by people who approach him with their sick ones, who ask him to cast out evil spirits, who hear his teachings and accompany him on the way. “My sheep hear my voice. I know them and they follow me” (Jn 10:27-28).

The term “crowd” is not disparaging. Perhaps to some people’s ears, it can evoke a faceless, nameless throng... But in the Gospel we see that when the crowd interacts with the Lord – who stands in their midst like a shepherd among his flock – something happens. Deep within, people feel the desire to follow Jesus, amazement wells up, discernment grows apace.

Graces - Relationship - Jesus - Crowd

I would like to reflect with you on these three graces that characterize the relationship between Jesus and the crowd.

Saint Luke says that the crowds “looked for Jesus” (4:42) and “travelled with him” (14:25). They “pressed in on him” and “surrounded him” (8:42-45); they “gathered to hear him” (5:15). Their “following” is something completely unexpected, unconditional and full of affection. It contrasts with the small-mindedness of the disciples, whose attitude towards people verges on cruelty when they suggest to the Lord that he send them away, so that they can get something to eat....
(Excerpt) Read more at: whispersintheloggia.blogspot.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Keep the change!