Enough about me, why do you hate Kaspersky so much? Revealed: Insp Clouseau-esque bid to smear critics as shills

www.theregister.co.uk | 4/17/2019 | Staff
marika (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://regmedia.co.uk/2018/10/05/shutterstock_252199984.jpg

Interview A gauche "spy" has made clumsy efforts to get critics of Russian antivirus biz Kaspersky Lab to incriminate themselves as shills for rival security companies.

At least four public critics of the company have been lured to meetings on the promise of business or employment opportunities, it is claimed. Once there, conversation focused on Kaspersky Lab and whether its critics are being paid by rival firms, the Associated Press newswire revealed this morning.

Keir - Giles - Consulting - Fellow - Russia

Keir Giles, a senior consulting fellow for Russia and Eurasia at the Chatham House think-tank, was asked to a meeting to discuss an apparent $10,000 opportunity to give a speech for a private equity company conference in Hong Kong.

Giles said his suspicions were first aroused by the man's suit, telling The Register: "He wasn't scruffy but he wasn't wearing the high-end tailoring and well-polished shoes I'd associate with someone in his supposed business."

Giles - Suspicions - Man - Belgium - Accent

Giles' suspicions were triggered because the man said he was from Belgium but didn't have a French or Flemish accent. Instead, he sounded central European. He claimed to live in Hong Kong but gave an unconvincing description of precisely where; Giles himself grew up in Hong Kong.

Giles said: "There was nothing that totally ruled him out but it raised my suspicions."

Giles - Towards - Think-tanker - Wondering - Microphone

He said he was hard of hearing and asked Giles to speak more loudly and speak directly towards him – leaving the think-tanker wondering where the microphone was.

The shabby-suited spook went by the name of Lucas Lambert and kept steering the conversation back to Kaspersky Lab and Giles' motivation for criticising it.

Giles - AP - Motives - Media - Commentary

Giles told the AP: "He was drilling down hard on whether there had been any ulterior motives behind negative media commentary on Kaspersky. The angle he wanted to push was that individuals — like me — who had been quoted in the media had been...
(Excerpt) Read more at: www.theregister.co.uk
Wake Up To Breaking News!