Breaking Records: How Astronaut Christina Koch's Extended Space Mission Will Make History

Space.com | 4/17/2019 | Robert Z. Pearlman
Mijac (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/q45jwRNrSbwugXK4iBSiR8-1200-80.jpg

Christina Koch has a(n out-of-this) world record in her future.

NASA on Wednesday (April 17) said that Koch, who launched to the International Space Station on March 14 for an expected six-month mission, will not return to Earth until Feb. 6, 2020. After 328 days in orbit, Koch will have logged the single longest spaceflight by a woman.

Koch - News - Board - Space - Station

"It feels awesome!" said Koch, reacting to the news from on board the space station in a video released by NASA. "I have known that this was a possibility for a long time and it is truly a dream come true to know that I can continue to work on the program that I have valued so highly my whole life."

Related: Most Extreme Human Spaceflight Records of All Time

Day - Honor - Dream - Come

"To be able to contribute to that and give my best every day to that for as long as possible is a true honor and a dream come true," she said.

Koch's mission is planned to be just shy of the longest single spaceflight by a NASA astronaut — 340 days, set by former NASA astronaut Scott Kelly during his one-year mission from 2015 to 2016. Her mission will collect more data about the effects of long-duration spaceflight beyond those documented on the more typical six-month expeditions.

Record - Spaceflight - United - Arab - Emirates

It will also enable another record to occur — the first spaceflight by a United Arab Emirates (UAE) astronaut.

Koch will be part of three expeditions — 59, 60 and 61 — during her current first spaceflight. She arrived at the space station on Russia's Soyuz MS-12 spacecraft with cosmonaut Aleksey Ovchinin of Roscosmos and Nick Hague of NASA to join the Expedition 59 crew of Oleg Kononenko of Roscosmos, NASA astronaut Anne McClain and David Saint-Jacques of the Canadian Space Agency.

Kononenko - McClain - Saint-Jacques - Earth

Kononenko, McClain and Saint-Jacques are scheduled to return to Earth...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Space.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!