‘What We Do in the Shadows’: Harvey Guillén and Mark Proksch on Improv & Not Getting Costumes

Collider | 4/17/2019 | Christina Radish
Click For Photo: http://cdn.collider.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/what-we-do-in-the-shadows-mark-proksch-social-600x311.jpg

Based on the feature film of the same name, from executive producers Jemaine Clement and Taika Waititi, the 10-episode FX comedy series What We Do in the Shadows offers a documentary-style look into the lives of four vampires who share a residence in Staten Island, New York. The self-appointed leader of the group, Nandor the Relentless (Kayvan Novak), who lives by the ways of the Old World and dresses as though he’s still living in another century, is not taken seriously by his roommates Laszlo (Matt Berry) and Nadja (Natasia Demetriou), who think that they know better. At the same time, energy vampire Colin Robinson (Mark Proksch), Nandor’s loyal servant Guillermo (Harvey Guillén), and Nadja’s new friend Jenna (Beanie Feldstein) are underappreciated by this trio who have been tasked with total and complete domination of the New World.

During this interview with Collider, co-stars Harvey Guillén and Mark Proksch talked about whether they were familiar with the original film that inspired the TV series, how they ended up getting their roles, the show’s tone and sense of humor, doing some wild improvised scenes, whether they’re disappointed that they don’t get to wear the more elaborate vampire costumes, what they most enjoy about their characters, and how surprised they were with the journey of this season.

Collider - TV - Series - Way - Reaction

Collider: When this TV series came your way, what was your reaction to it and the character? Had you been familiar with the film?

MARK PROKSCH: Yeah, I saw the film at the Minneapolis Film Festival, years ago, and I just remember thinking, “Oh, that’s a very smart idea.” So, it was very strange to then appear in the TV version is kismet. With Colin Robinson, my character, he’s not in the movie, so it gave me a little bit of freedom. It gave all of us freedom...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Collider
Wake Up To Breaking News!