Making Decisions versus Finding Solutions

Ron Edmondson | 4/17/2019 | Ron Edmondson
Night987 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://ronedmondson.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/easy-hard.jpg

I worked with a pastor on a leadership issue once, which was causing harm to the church. The pastor wanted me to help him think through how to address the issue. It was a personnel issue, which is always the hardest.

He was a fairly new pastor. One of the staff members was considered a lousy team player by the rest of the staff. He was lazy, divisive, and disrespectful to the senior pastor. He really didn’t add a lot of value to the team – mostly because he had checked out years earlier. He had been counseled many times, but refused to improve. The fact was he wasn’t happy, but too comfortable in his position (and pay) to go elsewhere.

Pastor - Leadership - Change - Job - Pastors

The pastor and key leadership realized a change needs to occur. He had been counseled and threatened with his job with other pastors also over a course of years, but he knew he was popular. He knew there could be huge ramifications by dismissing him and, therefore, he refused to change. He was, according to the pastor, even arrogant about his job security at times. The pastor, who had been at the church less time than the other staff member – and very much still gaining the trust of the church – felt he may never recover from letting him go.

I was asked to help the church find a solution to the dilemma.

Decision - Thing - Reason - Flippancy - Towards

Just based on what you know so far it seems like an easy decision to make. If I were simply encouraging them to do the right thing he needs to go. If for no other reason because of the flippancy he has shown towards his work and leadership.

But life and leadership are seldom this easy. Are they?

Course - Part - Story

Of course, you could almost see this complicating part of the story coming...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Ron Edmondson
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Never under estimate the power of the people, especially when they are a stupid mass!