Labour's Richard Burgon accused of LYING over Zionism claim

Mail Online | 4/16/2019 | Tim Sculthorpe, Deputy Political Editor For Mailonline
princia (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/04/16/14/12343962-0-image-a-42_1555421017056.jpg

Labour front bencher Richard Burgon claimed he did not 'recall' saying 'Zionism is the enemy of peace' after he was accused of lying about the slur today.

The shadow justice secretary said he believed when he denied it that it was 'inaccurate' to say he used the phrase - but admitted 'regret' at doing so today after a video of him shouting it in 2014 emerged.

Tape - Media - Today - Years - Allegations

The tape appeared on social media today years after the allegations were first made in the Daily Mail in August 2016.

Mr Burgon denied saying the slogan at the time and then denied it again last year when he was repeatedly asked by the BBC's Andrew Neil in March last year whether he had said 'Zionism is the enemy of peace'.

Mr - Burgon - Neil - View - Newspaper

Mr Burgon told Neil that he 'didn't say that' and 'that's not my view'. He insisted the newspaper had been unable to show where he had made the remarks.

Newly unearthed footage shows Mr Burgon, a close ally of Jeremy Corbyn, making a speech to a Labour Party event in 2014.

Enemy - People - Zionists - Zionism - Enemy

He said: 'The enemy of the Palestinian people are Zionists and Zionism is the enemy of peace and the enemy of the Palestinian people.'

Investigative journalist Iggy Ostanin, who unearthed the footage, said: 'Richard Burgon repeatedly lied to Andrew Neil when he denied saying 'Zionism is the enemy of peace'.

'He - View - Video - Shows - Thing

'He said over and over that he wouldn't have said that because it's not his view. This video I discovered shows him saying just that in 2014. Watch the whole thing.'

LFI Director Jennifer Gerber told the Jewish Chronicle: 'For nearly two years, Richard Burgon has deployed half-denials and weasel words to escape responsibility for his appalling suggestion that Zionism is the enemy of peace.

'Now - Time - Mr - Burgon

'Now that we've all seen exactly what he said, it's time for Mr Burgon...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!