Critics Pick the Best Alternative Streaming Platforms Beyond Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon

IndieWire | 4/16/2019 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://www.indiewire.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Best-Streaming-Alternatives.jpg

This week’s question: What is the best current or even upcoming alternative streaming service that is not Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon Prime? Why?

No one really believes me when I say that I’m a big fan of CBS All Access but: I’m a big fan of CBS All Access. “Twilight Zone” is currently the biggest draw (as are other originals “Star Trek: Discovery” and “The Good Fight”) but to be honest, I use it more for watching past series. Because it’s network-specific, its library isn’t as expansive as Hulu or Netflix but it has just the right mix of “Oh, I forgot about that show!” offerings that make for casual, low-energy background viewing. In the past year, I’ve raced through “Caroline in the City,” “Everybody Hates Chris,” and my beloved “Wings” (twice); I’ve also become super invested in old seasons of “Big Brother.” Its interface — at least on Apple TV — is far easier to navigate than most, you can pay a little extra to opt out of commercials, and it includes a handful of marathon favorites: “Cheers,” “Frasier,” “I Love Lucy,” and if you’re feeling particularly masochistic, “Criminal Minds.”

Cable - Companies - Markets - Packages - La

As cable companies really began to monopolize markets and only offer outrageously-priced packages, we all cried out for a la carte pricing. But what hath we wrought? There are such a myriad of streaming services now it’s hard for even us media professionals to know which has what and when, or which are worth investing in (or diving through, for those that are free). I don’t blame people for sticking just with Netflix, because it can be overwhelming to add everything together to build your own bundle.

At this point, I’m less interested in any one individual streaming service than what Apple revealed in their recent presentation; not their streaming service, but...
(Excerpt) Read more at: IndieWire
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Individuals can exist without government but government can't exist without individuals.