The Latest: 'No common sense' in Michigan cop's use of...

Mail Online | 8/26/2017 | Marlene Lenthang For Dailymail.com;Associated Press
moemajor (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/04/16/20/12358500-0-image-a-57_1555444616071.jpg

A former Michigan State Police trooper charged with the second-degree murder of a 15-year-old boy riding an ATV in 2017 said on Tuesday he won’t testify in his own defense.

Mark Bessner, 45, is accused of killing teenager Damon Grimes by shooting him with a taser as he was fleeing police on August 26, 2017. Grimes was riding an ATV in Detroit and popped a 'wheelie' before police pursued him.

Grimes - Taser - Car - ATV

After Grimes was struck with the taser he crashed into a parked car, flipped his ATV over and was killed.

The trial moved to closing arguments on Tuesday after Bessner declined to tell his version of what happened on the Detroit street.

Trial - Bessner - Jury - Verdict - Year

This is the second trial of Bessner after a jury failed to reach a unanimous verdict last year.

'I exercise my right (not to testify), Bessner said in a sworn statement before Judge Margaret Van Houten, reported the Detroit News.

Trial - Bessner - Testimony - Jurors - Gun

During his first trial Bessner offered his emotional testimony, telling jurors that he believed the 15-year-old had a gun. Grimes did not have a weapon.

In court on Tuesday prosecutors urged jurors to convict Bessner, saying there wasn't a 'lick of common sense' in firing a taser at Grimes and that joy-riding isn't a crime.

'Mark - Bessner - Damon - Grimes - Death

'Mark Bessner caused Damon Grimes' death. Mark Bessner knew that firing at taser at Damon Grimes created a high risk,' Assistant Wayne County prosecutor Matthew Penney said.

'There can be no question that Mark Bessner knew that (the taser) was going to cause some harm to Damon Grimes,' Penney added, calling his use of the weapon 'deadly force'.

Defense - Attorney - Richard - Convertino - ATV

Defense attorney Richard Convertino says the ATV was in...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: