Galaxy Fold hands-on: What's good and bad about Samsung's new foldable phone today

CNET | 4/16/2019 | Jessica Dolcourt
marked (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://cnet4.cbsistatic.com/img/uOPg_0E0B147qsrUZPqX6qqGznA=/756x567/2019/04/15/5b70f1ab-efbe-4484-b6cc-9bb7b3c7c8e9/306-galaxy-fold.jpg

I've been using the Galaxy Fold for about a day now. The initial thrill of picking up Samsung's foldable phone for the first time is still with me, as are some rough moments fumbling my way through a new navigation system with its three active windows, and getting used to typing and taking photos with such a large screen. A day in, my thoughts on Samsung's almost-$2,000 Galaxy Fold are far from set, but they're starting to take shape.

I've put the Galaxy Fold in a lot of people's hands, even if for a minute, because going through the act of bending and unbending the screen is such an aha moment. For me, the first thing I noticed was the weight as I lifted the Fold off its stand. I appreciated the heft of it and the smooth, glossy glass backing. And then I bent it in half.

Moment - Fold - Level - Weight - Device

That's the moment I had been waiting for. I wanted to understand the Fold on a physical level, to feel how much weight you need to throw into it to close the device and open it again. To gauge the smoothness of that big hinge as the "wings" open and close. It isn't hard, but you do need to be deliberate, and I like the little bit of power the Fold demands from you.

It may have a large notch along with its plastic interior screen and bezel (not my favorite things), but overall the Fold still feels like premium, cohesive device that's quickly building a case for why it exists, apart from the novelty. So far, I've used the Galaxy Fold on a very crowded subway, in a cab, walking down the street, sitting at a cafe and on an airplane, where I'm typing this now, with the Fold in its...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNET
Wake Up To Breaking News!