Sekiro and difficulty: Ignore the gatekeeping, anyone can play this gem

CNET | 4/16/2019 | Andrew Gebhart
applekip (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cnet1.cbsistatic.com/img/FlPm01Mik0HyBvSQZ-4RhCj9jmg=/756x567/2018/06/14/7f343316-7938-4e55-9e1b-bb80507cfc0c/sekiro-1.jpg

I'm currently playing a video game called Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice. It's an action game in which you're a shinobi trying to rescue your young kidnapped lord from formidable foes. You may have heard that it's a hard game. I'm probably less than a quarter of the way through, but I've already lost track of how many times I've died -- without exaggeration, the number is probably in the 40 to 50 range.

Both in spite of and because of that difficulty, I'm having a great time. It's an awesome game. Admittedly, I'm a fan of developer From Software. I've written in the past about the positive impact that Dark Souls, one of its previous games, had on my life. Overcoming the challenges of that game led me to some important life lessons.

Sekiro - Game - Company - Reputation - Games

Sekiro might be the most difficult game this company has made and it has a reputation for making hard games. This has led to an intense online debate about whether or not Sekiro should have an "easy mode." In a lot of video games, you can choose if you want to play on easy, medium or hard. Sekiro doesn't offer that choice.

One compelling article on Kotaku argued for the need for accessibility options in Sekiro so gamers with disabilities can play too. I firmly believe Sekiro is a better game without an easy mode, and I don't say that because I want to belong to an exclusive club of people who can play it.

Ideas - Difficulty - Accessibility - Gamers - Disabilities

To me, the ideas of difficulty and accessibility should not be conflated. While some gamers with disabilities have already come forth in defense of the game, Sekiro and all video games should have readily available accessibility options so that anyone who wants to can play them.

Having accessibility options -- perhaps similar to those outlined on Twitter...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNET
Wake Up To Breaking News!