Listen: Lance Reddick on How a Childhood Love of ‘Star Trek’ and William Shatner Informed His Career

Variety | 2/16/1967 | Michael Schneider
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2019/04/shutterstock_9623436h-e1555359881258.jpg?w=700&h=393&crop=1

Lance Reddick never planned to be an actor. But the star of series such as “Bosch,” “Corporate,” “Fringe” and “The Wire” always cites his youthful obsession with William Shatner as the catalyst that eventually led to his career on the screen.

“I didn’t really start acting until college and I didn’t even think about being an actor professionally until I was 27,” Reddick told Variety‘s “My Favorite Episode” podcast. “But whenever I’m asked about my early influences, what made me want to be an actor, it was William Shatner.”

Teenager - Reddick - Shatner - Actor - Father

As a teenager, when Reddick learned that Shatner had been a Shakespearean actor, he unearthed his father’s copy of “Julius Caesar” and taught himself the speech that Brutus makes to the crowd before Mark Antony takes over.

“I started trying to do it the way I thought Captain Kirk would do it,” he said. “Growing up I kind of wanted to be Captain Kirk.”

Edition - Podcast - Episode - TV - Star

On this edition of the podcast, we talk to Reddick about his favorite episode of TV ever, the classic “Star Trek” installment “Space Seed” and the actor’s unusual path to fame. Listen below:

Written by Gene L. Coon and Carey Wilber and directed by Marc Daniels, the “Star Trek” episode “Space Seed” first introduced the iconic character Khan, played by Ricardo Montalban. The episode aired during Season 1 of “Star Trek,” on Feb. 16, 1967.

Listen - Nina - Dobrev - Is - Tired

Listen: Nina Dobrev Is Tired of Getting Vampire Scripts and Wants to Star in a Show Like 'Big Little Lies'

“Space Seed” follows the USS Enterprise as it comes across the SS Botany Bay, a ship featuring superhumans who have been in suspended animation for centuries. Khan, the leader, takes advantage of ship historian Marla McGivers to attempt to take over the ship. Kirk eventually exiles Khan and McGivers, and of course we see the return of the character...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!