How Nicholas Podany and Bubba Weiler Went From Harry Potter Fans to Wizards on Broadway

POPSUGAR Entertainment | 4/15/2019 | Kelsie Gibson
Click For Photo: https://media1.popsugar-assets.com/files/thumbor/_TBWkd_wkCCxjzQ61tFLczl9i7g/4x129:1671x1004/fit-in/1200x630/filters:format_auto-!!-:strip_icc-!!-/2019/04/12/146/n/1922283/a973142f5cb149ddbd75c8.27402709_.jpg

I first meet Harry Potter and the Cursed Child stars Nicholas Podany and Bubba Weiler in the patronus room at Broadway's Lyric Theatre, where it's made abundantly — and immediately — clear that they're big Potterheads. I'm pointing out my patronus, a cat, to Podany before the conversation quickly shifts to what our Hogwarts houses are. Weiler is a Hufflepuff like me, while Podany adds, without hesitation, that he's a Gryffindor. While their houses slightly differ from that of their characters', their real-life friendship is just as endearing as it is on stage.

For Podany and Weiler — who play Harry Potter's son Albus and Draco Malfoy's son Scorpius, respectively — joining the Broadway play's second-year cast is legitimately a dream come true. Not only is this their Broadway debut, but they both have such a strong attachment to the franchise, albeit from different times in their lives.

Podany - Juilliard - Graduate - Books - Kid

Podany, a 22-year-old Juilliard graduate, was first introduced to the books when he was a kid. "My mom read me the books when I was 6," he recalled. "[She] read me to sleep with them. She's from England originally, and she did all the dialects of all the characters." The Harry Potter books are actually a large reason he got into acting in the first place. "That's what made me want to be an actor, was her reading the stories," he added. "Then I was like, 'I want to tell stories myself.' And found out I could. I wasn't good at sports anyway, so I got to put that energy somewhere else."

As for Weiler, a 25-year-old graduate from the Playwrights Horizons Theater School at the NYU Tisch School of the Arts, he didn't read the books until he was an adult. In fact, he actually had a pretty "traumatic experience" with the Harry Potter...
(Excerpt) Read more at: POPSUGAR Entertainment
Wake Up To Breaking News!
You've go to put up with Free Speech to have Free Speech!