‘NOS4A2’ Showrunner Reveals the Hidden Visual Effects You’d Never Notice and Joe Hill’s On-Set Advice [Interview]

/Film | 4/12/2019 | Fred Topel
Click For Photo: https://d13ezvd6yrslxm.cloudfront.net/wp/wp-content/images/NOS4A2-teaser.jpg

AMC is bringing a new vampire to television this summer. NOS4A2 is based on the book by Joe Hill, and showrunner Jami O’Brien adapted it for television. Zachary Quinto stars as Charlie Manx, a 135-year-old vampire who feeds off the energy of children. His make-up to transform into an ancient vampire is impressive, but NOS4A2’s biggest effects are seamless.

O’Brien and Hill spoke with reporters at WonderCon in Anaheim last week. Here’s what we learned.

Vic - McQueen - Ashleigh - Cummings - Shorter

When Vic McQueen (Ashleigh Cummings) rides down the Shorter Way Bridge in the middle of the woods, she is given psychic clues about missing objects (all of this despite the fact that the Shorter Way Bridge apparently collapsed decades ago). There is an exterior bridge set, but it looks very different inside.

“The bridge is miraculous I think,” O’Brien said. “There were three pieces of the bridge that are practical and a lot of it, the interior of it, which this is a testament to our VFX team, is VFX. I was like, ‘You guys aren’t gonna get any props for this because no one’s going to know because that’s how good it is.’ That’s why I’m telling you all.”

Kind - Effects - Effects

Those are the best kind of visual effects – when you don’t even know they’re effects because they look real and you take them for granted.

Jump scares work in horror movies because they make the whole theater leap out of their seat, but if overused, they can feel cheap. It’s a little harder to do jump scares on television because you can’t force people to turn the volume up. NOS4A2 relies more on scaring you with a full hour of dread.

Joe - Hill - Son - Authors - Stephen

Joe Hill, the son of authors Stephen King and Tabitha King, isn’t opposed to jump scares though.

“For myself, I’m not above a good jump scare,” Hill said. “I think...
(Excerpt) Read more at: /Film
Wake Up To Breaking News!