Julian Assange finally leaves his tiny room, but what was it like in there?

CNET | 4/11/2019 | Richard Trenholm
moni (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cnet4.cbsistatic.com/img/NhvmSyY_S97Skx7BXz3XH4XeHXs=/756x567/2017/06/13/14f798ac-463a-4de0-8594-e79f298a3081/gettyimages-685313974-promo.jpg

For the first time in seven years, Julian Assange's room is empty. The WikiLeaks founder has been arrested and removed from the tiny Ecuadorian Embassy where he'd lived in self-imposed exile since 2012.

The US immediately unsealed charges against Assange, alleging he engaged in a conspiracy to hack classified Defense Department computers in 2010. Extradition to the US seems a very real possiblity now.

Years - Assange - World - Influence - Politics

During that seven years Assange was cut off from the world, yet still able to exert his influence on the politics and society that became increasingly remote outside his window. So I cast my mind back to the time I sat at his desk and spent time exploring the strain of being stuck in the tiny space in which Assange had elected to isolate himself.

WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange has been hidden away in the Ecuadorian Embassy in London since June 2012.

Desk - WikiLeaks - Papers - Servers - Documents

I sat at the desk surrounded by WikiLeaks papers and blinking servers, legal documents and glasses of whiskey scattered across the table. But I wasn't actually in Assange's bolthole: instead, I was in a carefully-crafted replica at the FACT art centre in Liverpool, some 200 miles from Ecuador's embassy in London where Assange infamously holed up.

Seeing Assange hiding out in the embassy, artists Carmen Weisskopf and Domagoj Smoljo, collectively known as Mediengruppe Bitnik, decided to slip him a message. In January 2013 they sent a parcel to the embassy containing a hidden camera, which snapped pictures of its journey and automatically posted them to Twitter. When Assange opened the package, he obligingly posed for the camera.

Contact - Artists - Embassy - Assange - Anything

Contact established, the artists visited the embassy and met with Assange throughout 2013. They weren't allowed to photograph anything, but they claim to have meticulously recorded and reconstructed every detail of Assange's sanctuary so they could erect what they say is a perfect...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNET
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: