Will Packer Has Big ‘Ambitions’ for the Small Screen

Variety | 4/11/2019 | Rob Owen
liizu (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2019/04/ambitions-tv-show-own-network.jpg?w=700&h=393&crop=1

Will Packer made his reputation with such movies as “Girls Trip” but he’s moved into TV.

“We are content creators and I don’t want to be limited to one particular medium,” says Packer of his recent efforts in television.

LeVar - Burton - Producer - History - Roots

LeVar Burton, an executive producer on History’s 2016 “Roots,” says he was impressed when he first met Packer, who also came aboard the miniseries as an executive producer.

“Will’s genuine expertise is his finger is on the pulse of the people,” Burton says. “Without question, community outreach was a critical part of our strategy of engagement, of finding an audience, of delivering an audience to the miniseries and Will’s knowledge and expertise and contacts in that regard were enormously valuable.”

Barry - Jossen - Vice - President - A

Barry Jossen, executive vice president of A&E Studios, which produced the “Roots” remake, says Packer brought a voice of authenticity to the project. Jossen also recalls it was Packer who suggested rapper T.I. for the role of Cyrus, which would be a contrast to Chicken George (Rege-Jean Page).

“We needed someone quick-witted and instinctual and we had a tough time figuring out who embodied that role,” Jossen says. “Will successfully recruited T.I. for that very important character.”

Twitter - Show - Voices - Voiceless

Will Packer on Why His Twitter Show 'Gives Voices to the Voiceless'

Packer’s earliest forays into TV included executive producing the short-lived comedies “Truth Be Told” (2015, NBC) and “Uncle Buck” (2016, ABC) before founding Will Packer Media in 2017.

Projects - Television - Pilots - Air - Packer

“It is unheard of that your first two projects that you bring out when you’re first going into television are bought, made into pilots and picked up to go on air,” Packer says. “It taught me how the television medium works, how the network television process works, and we didn’t stop, of course.

That’s not me. I won’t stop.”

Packer - Effort - Soapy - Ambitions - People

Packer describes his next scripted effort, the soapy “Ambitions,” as “powerful people behaving badly.” It...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!