Geoffrey Rush Wins Defamation Case Over Sexual Allegations

Variety | 4/10/2019 | Patrick Frater
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2016/08/geoffrey-rush-genius-einstein.jpg?w=700&h=393&crop=1

Oscar-winning Australian actor Geoffrey Rush has won his defamation case brought against the News Corp.-owned Daily Telegraph. The paper had accused Rush of inappropriate sexual behavior during a stage production of “King Lear.”

The judge in Sydney, Michael Wigney said on Thursday that the newspaper “did not make out their truth defence” against Rush’s libel suit. Wigney called the newspaper report “a recklessly irresponsible piece of sensationalist journalism.”

Details - Case - Court - October - November

Details of the case were heard by the court in October and November last year. Passing judgement, Wigney awarded Rush A$850,000 ($600,000) in aggravated damages. Rush is expected to receive further payments for loss of earnings, from a further hearing in May.

After exiting the court thanked the court. But he added “there are no winners in this case, it’s been extremely distressing for everyone involved.” At the beginning of the trial last year, Rush said the period between allegations and trial had been “the worst 11 months of my life.”

Newspaper - Allegations - Headline - King - Leer

The newspaper published its allegations under the headline “King Leer” and again in a second story under...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!
"Tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis
Sign In or Register to comment.

Welcome to Long Room!

Where The World Finds Its News!