Do Religious Orders Have Permanent Deacons?

The Deacon's Bench | 4/10/2019 | Staff
Traight (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/56/2016/08/20160531t0843-887-cns-pope-mass-deacons-crop_0.jpg

Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/56/2016/08/20160531t0843-887-cns-pope-mass-deacons-crop_0-768x479.jpg

Yes, indeed.

I received an email today from my Salesian priest friend Mike Mendl, eager to share some recent statistics about his order:

Salesians - Countries - Countries - Confreres - Bishops

As of 12/31/18, the Salesians are present in 132 countries (depending on how you count “countries”). There are 14,614 confreres (128 bishops, 14,056 professed, and 430 novices), of whom 1,392 are coadjutor brothers and 28 permanent deacons. The Society is divided into 90 provinces that include 1,802 canonically erected works or houses and 113 other presences.

Turns out, they aren’t the only ones. From the Dominicans’ website, DomLife.org:

Friar - Brother - Priest - Call - Choice

Each Friar, brother or priest, has heard a call to his choice of dedication. A brother is not a potential priest but one called to be a brother. Many follow the preaching path, some are ordained permanent deacons, but they don’t hear a call to priesthood. Some hear the call to quieter apostolates of hospitality and solace for those who seek it, others to very active apostolates.

The Dominican priest (and Facebook friend of mine) Dismas Sayre noted such deacons in his order are rare:

It is possible, canonically.

It has happened — we had a brother, who served as a permanent deacon. The biggest reason is that he was out in the missions, and the diaconate served as a way to do more.

Understanding

But my understanding is...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Deacon's Bench
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God.
Tagged: