Animation Director Rich Moore Defects from Disney to the ‘Spider-Verse’ of Sony

IndieWire | 11/6/2020 | Staff
Caris (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://www.indiewire.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/shutterstock_7734776bk.jpg

Animation director Rich Moore (“Wreck-It Ralph,” “Zootopia,” “Ralph Breaks the Internet”) has left Disney to join the “Spider-Verse” of Sony Pictures Animation, where he will develop, produce, and direct original animated features as well as advise on upcoming movie and series-based projects. This is a major defection for the post-John Lasseter Disney (now under the leadership of Chief Creative Officer Jennifer Lee, who Moore collaborated with on “Wreck-It Ralph” and “Zootopia”), but also a major coup for the Oscar-winning Sony (led by President Kristine Belson).

Lasseter recruited Moore to Disney a decade ago after he needed a change from “The Simpsons,” and it appears that the time was right for another creative change. “Ten years is a long time,” Moore said in a prepared statement, “but when you’re working on incredible films with people you love as I have these last 10 years, that time flies by. I will always cherish my days at the Walt Disney Animation Studios and I leave with the faith that the studio is in good hands. I remain a lifelong Disney Animation fan and look forward to the films they’ll create in the future.”

Zootopia

“Zootopia”

At the same time, Moore alluded to how impressed he was with the innovative and disruptive “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse,” produced by Phil Lord and Chris Miller, who have transformed Sony into a force to be reckoned with. “Sony Animation has emerged as a major player among animation studios,” he said. “Their vision to give filmmakers and artists the freedom to take risks, and to really push the envelope when it comes...
(Excerpt) Read more at: IndieWire
Wake Up To Breaking News!