Worrying flaw lets users trick Samsung Galaxy S10's fingerprint reader with a 3D printed fingerprint

Mail Online | 4/8/2019 | Annie Palmer For Dailymail.com
Refel_4309 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/04/08/23/12025622-0-image-a-33_1554761792862.jpg

Fingerprint readers on Samsung's flagship Galaxy S10 phone aren't totally foolproof.

Imgur user Darkshark was able to trick the in-display fingerprint reader in the Galaxy S10 by creating a 3D printed version of his own fingerprint.

Start - User - Minutes - Fingerprint - Phone

From start to finish, the user said it only took him about 15 minutes to create the fake fingerprint before he was able to successfully unlock the phone.

'It took me 3 reprints trying to get the right ridge height (and I forgot to mirror the fingerprint on the first one) but yeah, 3rd time was the charm,' user Darkshark wrote in a post describing how he fooled the fingerprint reader.

Print - Phone - Cases - Finger - Does

'The 3D print will unlock my phone...in some cases just as well as my actual finger does.'

To build the fake fingerprint, Darkshark took a photo of their fingerprint on the side of a wine glass.

User - Photo - Smartphone - Someone - Savvy

The user took the photo with their smartphone, but pointed out that someone savvy enough wouldn't need to get up that close to steal someone's prints, as they could use a long range lens to capture a detailed photo.

They loaded the image into Photoshop and made some edits, then made a model using 3ds Max, which allowed them to create a 'raised 3d model of every last detail of the fingerprint.'

Darkshark - Model - AnyCubic - Photon - LCD

Finally, Darkshark sent that model to an AnyCubic Photon LCD 3d printer.

It only took less than 20 minutes, in addition to...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!