Testing Verizon's new 5G speeds exposed three major issues with the next-gen data network

CNET | 4/6/2019 | Jessica Dolcourt
cute16 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cnet1.cbsistatic.com/img/JE2K-3eFjrUVZIRjPlsc-UWHAFk=/756x567/2019/04/04/ab5cf00d-fae9-4c7f-966f-41c42bc63411/moto-z3-verizon-5g-1.jpg

This is the 5G icon you should see all the time.

Thursday at 10 a.m., I trudged through a cold drizzle, coffee clutched desperately in hand, for one reason: Garrett's cheddar and caramel popcorn. Just kidding. I came to Chicago to test Verizon's new 5G network the day after it launched in parts of downtown Chicago and Minneapolis. After using it for six solid hours on the Moto Z3 and its 5G Moto Mod, I walked away with a clearer understanding of the biggest issues facing Verizon and other carriers as the next-generation data networks begin to roll out.

Verizon - Experience - Download - Speeds - Imagination

I'd like to say that using Verizon's 5G was a mind-blowing experience, with download speeds beyond my wildest imagination. I wish I could tell you that I downloaded entire albums of music and streamed video instantly. Unfortunately, all I can honestly say after a long day is that I found it confusing. Frustrating. Absolutely insane. The new network isn't a silver bullet that will magically make your data dreams come true. It faces growing pains, and we're going to have to grow right along with it.

At times, the 5G speeds recorded by the Speedtest.net benchmarking test got us the 600-plus megabits per second download speeds Verizon has promised. Other times it was closer to 200Mbps, and still other times, the phone professed to be on 5G, but acted a lot like 4G. I had a battalion of upload and download tests I was going to try Thursday in downtown Chicago, but it was so hard to keep a 5G connection long enough to run the most basic tests, I had to throw those plans out the window.

Verizon - Motorola - Issues - Hours - PR

Verizon and Motorola are well aware of these issues. I spent hours with PR reps from both companies, and kept in close contact with them...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNET
Wake Up To Breaking News!