Variety’s Power of Women NY Celebrates ‘Powerhouse’ Honorees Fighting Against ‘Social Injustice’

Variety | 4/5/2019 | Cynthia Littleton
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2019/04/taraji-p-henson-pow.jpg?w=700&h=393&crop=1

The honorees at Variety’s sixth annual Power of Women New York luncheon presented by Lifetime shared deeply personal stories that were variations on a powerful theme: Women overcoming obstacles, doubts, and naysayers to right wrongs, raise awareness, and bear witness to injustice.

“When a job needs to be done and nobody’s doing it, you step forward and you do it yourself,” said Bette Midler, one of five notable industry figures celebrated this year. “That’s what empowerment means to me.”

Midler - Friday - Gathering - Cipriani - Midtown

Midler was feted at Friday’s gathering at Cipriani Midtown for her role as the founder of New York Restoration Project, an organization that has worked to create a “cleaner and greener” New York City since 1995.

Christiane Amanpour, CNN’s chief international correspondent, was recognized for her work with the Committee to Project Journalists. Supermodel Gigi Hadid put the spotlight on Unicef. Actress Taraji P. Henson addressed the stigma of mental illness in the African-American community through her Boris Lawrence Henson Foundation. Country music maven Kacey Musgraves advocated for arts education funding through the Grammy Museum.

Self - Can-I-speak-to-your-manager - Haircut - Room - Women

“If you would have told my 16-year-old self with my awkward can-I-speak-to-your-manager haircut that I would be in such a room with accomplished and intellectual women, I would have said you’re full of s—,” Musgraves told the crowd.

Variety editor-in-chief Claudia Eller hailed the honorees for possessing the “special brand of fearlessness, outspokenness, and tenacity to make a whole lot of noise about the pressing issues of our time.”

Michelle - Wolf - Punches - Role - Host

Comedian Michelle Wolf pulled no punches in her role as host, kicking off the afternoon with a string of zingers.

“I heard if we’re good next year they’ll promote us to dinner,” Wolf said of the lunchtime gathering. “Nothing says ‘We are here’ better than assuming women have nothing to do in the middle of a work day. Who do they think we are,...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Conservatives are to the GOP what oil is to water, and the GOPe spend most of their time skimming it off or setting it on fire.