Tobey Maguire on Producing "Outside the System," Absence From Big Screen: "Have I Retired?"

The Hollywood Reporter | 4/4/2019 | Tatiana Siegel
Click For Photo: https://cdn1.thr.com/sites/default/files/2019/04/thr_tobey_maguire_and_matthew_plouffe_thr_plouffe_maguire_7947.jpg

The Material Pictures exec, alongside partner Matthew Plouffe, chat about their $14  million Amazon deal, new projects with Amy Adams and Damien Chazelle, and why the former Spider-Man hasn't been onscreen in years: "I'll do what I'm called to do."

In fall 2011, a year after former Focus Features executive Matthew Plouffe collaborated with Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck on It's Kind of a Funny Story, he got a call from the directors' managers, Darin Friedman and Eric Kranzler of Management 360. Friedman and Kranzler were looking for a new producing partner for their client Tobey Maguire and his Material Pictures banner after Jenno Topping left to join Peter Chernin's company. "They said, 'Would you sit down with Tobey?' And I said, 'Sure, but I'm not really looking to leave where I am.' I had a pretty good job," recalls Plouffe (rhymes with fluff). "I met him, and that changed pretty quickly, frankly, just because I felt a real connection to him — artistically, intellectually, creatively."

Years - Groove - Films - Sundance - Breakout

Fast-forward eight years and the two have found their groove, with three films in 2019, including the Sundance breakout Brittany Runs a Marathon (Amazon bought the Jillian Bell starrer for $14 million, marking one of the top acquisitions of the festival) and Scottish horror pic Boyz in the Wood (which just won the Midnighters Audience Award at SXSW). Their latest film, the Sam Rockwell-Taraji P. Henson Civil Rights-era drama The Best of Enemies, opens April 5 (STX is releasing).

Maguire, 43, and Plouffe, 36, invited THR to the home that the Material staff of five work out of — a two-story contemporary in West Hollywood that Maguire owns but doesn't live in. They talked about pivoting to financing, why they sparked to Jennifer Salke's Brittany pitch and whether Maguire has retired from acting.

Movies

After producing movies like The...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Hollywood Reporter
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Woof!