7 Myths about Singleness by Sam Allberry, Free for CAPC Members

Christ and Pop Culture | 7/3/2019 | Nate Claiborne
Click For Photo: https://christandpopculture.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/7-myths-MO-cover.jpg

7 Myths about Singleness by Sam Allberry is graciously available free to Christ and Pop Culture members until July 3, 2019, through our partnership with Crossway.

For some reason, I grew up assuming I’d be married shortly after I turned 20. I’m not entirely sure why I first started thinking this, but the reality was I didn’t get married until I turned 25. That’s not that much of a difference; many others experience a longer gap between expectation and reality. Living in that gap can be difficult, especially in a church culture that prioritizes marriage and family, often with a subtext that people who are single need to get with the program.

B - Rate - Path - Kingdom - God

[B]eing single is not a second rate path in the kingdom of God.

In 7 Myths about Singleness, Sam Allberry guides readers into the truth about not being married. He writes because “[m]ost of what we think we know is actually untrue.” He explains that “the point of this book is that the goodness of singleness is something the whole church needs to know.” To highlight this goodness, he’ll need to dispel 7 myths:

Myths - Way - Singleness - Culture - Culture

It is perhaps significant that these myths are book-ended in such a way that makes clear singleness is hard. This is true in our culture at least, but perhaps in every culture where the norm has been for people to couple up and have kids. I include the latter because there could be a sequel to this book called 7 Myths about Childlessness. Any time life goes off script can be difficult, but that is why we press into our church communities.

For Allberry’s part, he does an excellent job of giving readers an inside look at a single life. In his experience, being single has provided for intimate friendships, opportunities for ministry, and family thickened by the...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Christ and Pop Culture
Wake Up To Breaking News!