5 Key Moments From Equality Act Hearing

The Daily Signal | 4/2/2019 | Staff
liizu (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://www.dailysignal.com/wp-content/uploads/GettyImages-618550242.jpg

Supporters of House Democrats’ “gender equality” bill testified Tuesday that the legislation is necessary to guarantee equal rights for Americans who identify as transgender.

One Republican lawmaker, however, wondered if Democrats would push the bill if President Donald Trump decided to call himself “the first female president.”

Equality - Act - March - Priority - House

The Equality Act, introduced March 13 and a priority for House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, would add sexual orientation and gender identity to the characteristics protected from discrimination under the 1964 Civil Rights Act.

According to an explainer from The Heritage Foundation, the legislation would force workers “to conform to new sexual norms or else lose their businesses and jobs” and also compromise the work of charities and volunteers.

Professionals - Procedures - Conscience - Rights - Think

It also would coerce medical professionals into facilitating procedures that violate their conscience rights, the leading conservative think tank said, and hurt women by “dismantling sex-specific facilities, sports, and other female-only spaces.”

Here are five key moments from the hearing, held by the House Judiciary Committee.

Rep - Matt - Gaetz - R-Fla - Transgender

Rep. Matt Gaetz, R-Fla., said he supports transgender rights, but can’t support the Equality Act as written because it “would only nominally protect certain individuals while causing tremendous harm to others.”

The bill also would allow people to take advantage of the gender lebel, Gaetz said.

Rights - Transgender - Individuals - Struggles - Actors

“I strongly support the rights of transgender individuals,” he said. “I will not denigrate or deny their struggles. But I am concerned about the potential bad actors who would exploit the provisions for their own gain.”

The Florida Republican raised some eyebrows by asking his colleagues: “If President Trump were to say, ‘I’m now the first female president,’ who would celebrate that?”

Acceptance - Fairness

2. Sexual Acceptance and Fairness

Sunu Chandy, legal director for the National Women’s Law Center, said the legislation is necessary so that those who identify as transgender can be on equal footing with the rest of society.

Support - Equality

“Support of the Equality...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Daily Signal
Wake Up To Breaking News!