Baby needed emergency brain surgery after she wasn't 'playing with her toys as normal'

Mail Online | 4/2/2019 | Vanessa Chalmers Health Reporter For Mailonline
marisha (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/04/02/16/11771140-0-image-a-58_1554218601187.jpg

A mother has revealed how her instinct helped to save her daughter's life not just once - but twice.

Janine Clarke, 31, of Liverpool, rushed Amelia Nilsen to hospital when she noticed she was acting 'different to normal' - after four doctors dismissed her fears and said there was nothing wrong.

Hours - Emergency - Brain - Surgery - Doctors

Hours later she underwent emergency brain surgery because doctors found part of her brain was slipping into her spine - a condition called chiari malformation.

Four months later, Amelia was back in hospital because Ms Clarke was concerned about her high temperature of 40.2°C (104.4°F).

Strokes - Mass - Heart - Sepsis

She eventually suffered two strokes, thought to be caused by an infected mass on her heart that also triggered sepsis.

The family, who were living in Brisbane, Australia, at the time, were told to expect the worst as Amelia struggled for 15 weeks in hospital.

Family - UK - May

Fortunately, she pulled through, and the family moved back to the UK in May 2018.

But now, two years old, Amelia is still unable to talk, walk, eat solid food or use her right arm because of the strokes.

Amelia - Chiari - Malformation - Diagnosis - Ms

Discussing Amelia's chiari malformation diagnosis, Ms Clarke said: 'Amelia wasn't playing with her toys or taking her bottle like normal one morning.

'She couldn't quite co-ordinate. I observed her for a few hours before taking her to hospital where the doctor said everything seemed fine.'

Ms - Clarke - Opinion - Doctor - Lady

Ms Clarke insisted she got a second opinion from another doctor at Lady Cilento Children’s Hospital.

Ms Clarke, who has another child, Lucas, three, with her partner, Jay Nilsen, 30, a joiner, said: 'I felt like I was being a nuisance but I had to make sure that they weren't missing anything.

Doctors - Okay

'Even though the doctors kept telling me that she was moving her limbs okay I knew she wasn't moving them as good or as much as she normally...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
One of the countries we liberated was Russia, too bad it seems to have cost us our liberty.