Want to Start Fermenting Your Food? Get This Gear

WIRED | 4/2/2019 | Joe Ray
samtetley (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://media.wired.com/photos/5ca299a033eb236ab0dd68c3/191:100/pass/kimchi-897717702.jpg

I came to fermenting relatively recently in my cooking career but took to it with relish. How did I not know how to do this? Who doesn't love a good pickle? Are you, like me, regularly caught by your wife in the middle of a private, late-night scarfing session involving sharp cheddar, crackers, sauerkraut, and IPA? These days, whether it's ****, kimchi, or something more exotic, I've almost always got a batch bubbling away in a cool corner of the kitchen.

I do wish, however, that a couple of years ago someone had foisted a clear set of fermentation guidelines on me, along with a list of the right gear to get me going.

Guidelines - Form - Minimum - Food - Ferment

Here are those rough guidelines in very abbreviated form: At a minimum, you need the food to ferment, salt to make the magic happen, a large vessel to hold the food, and a weight to keep the fermenting food submerged in brine. A few extras, most of them pleasantly inexpensive, will streamline the process and help keep things on track.

Let's start with the fermentation vessel, which holds everything (duh!) but should come with weights to keep the ingredients submerged and a lid with a means of letting air escape without any coming in. I've been happily using the Kilner Fermentation Set for the past year. It has all of those basics and a nice, wide mouth, clear sides to keep an eye on things, half-moon weights to hold food down, and an airlock that's part of the lid. At $35, it's hard to beat.

Haul - Crock - Vessel - Basics - Something

If you're in it for the long haul, though, think about investing in a crock, the large, typically ceramic vessel that does all of these basics while also being something you want to keep on display as an objet d'art. My favorites are by InFerment...
(Excerpt) Read more at: WIRED
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: