Government Regulations Are Putting Some Homeowners’ Dreams on Hold

The Daily Signal | 4/2/2019 | Staff
MysticHeart (Posted by) Level 3

BRYAN, Texas—Born and raised in Houston, Melody Woodard moved an hour and a half away from her hometown to start anew in Bryan, Texas, outside College Station. But after her husband died, things changed.

An animated, outspoken woman, Woodard was determined to make it on her own. But without help from her husband, things were different.

Time - Chicken - Inspector - Sanderson - Farms

She works full time as a chicken inspector at Sanderson Farms Inc., a major poultry producer, but affording a mortgage was out of the question. Until after seven years of making ends meet, she heard about Habitat for Humanity and decided to apply.

“Habitat was the perfect thing for my family and myself,” Woodard told The Daily Signal. “At times, I can just cry because I just can’t believe that this has happened to my family.”

Keys - Home - Jan - Saturday - Days

She got the keys to her new home on Jan. 26—a Saturday, just four days before her 39th birthday.

Her Habitat home didn’t just put a roof over her head, but also provided a home for the four children, ages 5 to 8, whom Woodard says she saved from “the system.”

Parent - System

“I foster four, and not only am I a foster parent to them, I’m also a relative to them. I just could not let them go into the system,” she said.

“[There’s] more of them,” Woodard added. “I could only take in four.”

Habitat - Humanity - Nonprofit - People - Hand

Habitat for Humanity is a global, Christian nonprofit founded in 1976 that prides itself on giving people a hand up, not a handout. Instead of giving away houses, the organization builds and renovates houses, offering stable, no-interest loans provided by supporters and money earned by fundraising.

Any low-income family lucky enough to qualify for a Habitat home is still required to pay their own mortgage.

Charley - Coats - Director - Homebuyer - Services

Charley Coats is the director of homebuyer services at the local Habitat branch in Bryan/College Station. He told...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Daily Signal
Wake Up To Breaking News!