Australian war widow who kissed and cuddled Prince Harry during his royal visits - dies aged 99

Mail Online | 6/7/2017 | Shive Prema;Stephen Gibbs for Daily Mail Australia
TitanSwimr (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/03/28/23/11593470-0-image-a-2_1553814654956.jpg

Click For Video: https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2018/10/16/6217420002339474691/1024x576_MP4_6217420002339474691.mp4

Australian war widow Daphne Dunne - who won Prince Harry's heart during his royal visits Down Under - has died aged 99 just days after receiving a birthday card from the Duke of Sussex and Meghan Markle.

Ms Dunne's daughter revealed on her mother's birthday last week that she had been suffering from a a long bout of pneumonia but that the royals had helped her during difficult times.

Family - Tuesday

Sadly she passed away surrounded by family on Tuesday.

Prince Harry first spotted a replica Victoria Cross pinned to Mrs Dunne's chest at the Sydney Opera House after he completed a deployment with the Australian Defence Force in 2015.

Invictus - Games - Event - Harry - Ms

They met again in 2017 during a rainy Invictus Games launch event, before Harry introduced Ms Dunne to his new wife Meghan Markle outside the Opera House during the royal couple's visit to Sydney last year.

On Friday Daphne appeared on the Today Show where reporters read out Prince Harry's birthday message live on air.

Daphne - Wife - Warmest - Occasion - Birthday

'Dear Daphne, my wife and I send our warmest wishes to you on the occasion of your 99th birthday on Friday,' the card read.

'We hope you have a wonderful celebration surrounded by family and friends and that you've managed to escape hospital.

'Congratulations - Milestone - Year - Year

'Congratulations on reaching this important and impressive milestone before your centenary year next year.

'Happy Birthday Daphne.

Wishes - Harry - Meghan - Duke - Duchess

'Best wishes, Harry and Meghan, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex.'

Ms Dunne's daughter said on Friday: 'Meghan and Harry have gotten mum through this terrible illness she's had.'

'She - Card - Thing - Through

'She's still very unwell and I think the card they've sent means so much. I think it will be the thing that gets her through.'

Ms Dunne's first husband Albert Chowne was killed during a raid on the Japanese in Papua New Guinea on March 25, 1945.

Victoria - Cross

He received the Victoria Cross for his...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!