Fake German heiress laughs with her attorney during her fraud trial

Mail Online | 4/2/2019 | Emily Crane For Dailymail.com
mel4 (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/04/02/04/11744536-0-image-a-10_1554175187731.jpg

The fake German heiress accused of duping people out of millions of dollars in a socialite scam was allegedly sent dozens of flirty text messages from a married banker as she tried to get a $22 million loan from him.

Anna Sorokin, also known as her alias Anna Delvey, is currently on trial for allegedly duping elite circles in Manhattan from 2013 to 2018 and bilking friends, banks and hotels to the tune of $275,000.

Trial - Monday - Defense - Attorneys - Court

During the 28-year-old's trial on Monday, her defense attorneys told the court that a banker at the private equity fund Fortress sent Sorokin 158 texts when she was trying to secure the loan.

The employee, Dennis Onabajo, was tasked with vetting her loan application and it was later rejected.

New - York - Post

'I'm forcing myself not to kiss you because you are insanely beautiful,' he is alleged to have texted her, according to the New York Post.

The text was sent in March 2017 after Fortress rejected her $22 million loan.

Meeting - SoHo - Hotel - Upstairs - Good-bye

He is also allegedly texted her after a meeting at the SoHo hotel where she was staying - Howard 11 - and said: 'Let me come upstairs and say a proper good-bye'.

Her attorney brought up the flirty texts when he was questioning the banker's boss Spencer Garfield on Monday.

Judge - Attorney - Question - Garfield - Detail

The judge refused to let the attorney question Garfield in detail about the texts after saying he was not aware of the exchanges.

Onabajo left the company about two months after Sorokin's loan was rejected.

Sorokin - Loan - Arts - Club - Fortune

Sorokin was trying to secure the $22 million loan to open a private arts club by allegedly lying about having a $67 million fortune.

Garfield testified that Sorokin's loan was rejected because she couldn't produce proof of her fortune.

Attorney - Sorokin - Larceny

Her attorney argued that Sorokin couldn't be guilty of attempted grand larceny if she wasn't close to...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Keep the change!