Our Stairwell Gallery: A Familial Experiment in Art Appreciation

God-Haunted Lunatic | 3/31/2019 | Staff
tiana_101 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://godhauntedlunatic.files.wordpress.com/2019/03/1280px-noon_rest_from_work_-_van_gogh.jpeg

“It is beauty, like truth, which brings joy to the heart of man and…which unites generations and makes them share things in admiration.”

“I’ve been meaning to tell you,” said my wife, Nancy. “That new picture you got from the library? You hung it upside down.”

Goldfinch - Cherry - Tree - Hokusai - Katsushika

She was referring to “The Goldfinch and Cherry Tree” (c. 1834) by Hokusai Katsushika. It’s the latest installment in our household gallery which features a solitary work of art, intermittently alternated, at the bottom of our main staircase. Our source is the main branch of the superb St. Joseph County Public Library, which has an extensive collection of framed prints that patrons can check out for a few weeks at a time.

I remember when I first made use of this unusual service after hearing about it from friends. I was outside the downtown branch’s children’s area on the third floor when I spied a framed print propped up on a tripod. It was something recognizable – maybe the “Mona Lisa” or something famous like that. “Can I really check this out on my card?” I asked a passing librarian.

Shrug - Hallway - Corner

“Sure,” she replied with a shrug. “And there’s more in that hallway around the corner.”

Indeed there was. Scores of framed prints of various sizes and shapes. Paintings, photos, drawings, and even retro promotional posters. The Becker Rotating Stairwell Gallery was born, and I’m told by the librarians that many in the community regularly swap out selections like we do. And since the checked-out items, like books, can be renewed twice, that means that there’s a steady flow of local domestic curators returning to the library every couple months to select something new to exhibit.

Default - Curator - Rotating - Display - Selection

By default, I’ve become the curator of our own rotating display. I’ll turn in the previous selection at the circulation desk, and then head upstairs...
(Excerpt) Read more at: God-Haunted Lunatic
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Vote for gridlock, it's our only hope!