Only one Huawei? We pitted the P30 Pro against Samsung and Apple's best – and this is what we found

www.theregister.co.uk | 4/1/2019 | Staff
darktm22darktm22 (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://regmedia.co.uk/2019/03/25/triple_lens1.jpg

Special Imaging Report Swaggering with cash, flashy and vulgar – Huawei has barged into the high-end smartphone market, upsetting the duopoly like a new "noisy neighbour". Huawei issued a challenge to Apple and Samsung – "welcome to smartphone photography". They were the real imaging champs until recently.

Last year's P20 performed well in low light. This year's P30 boasts 50x zoom and macro zoom.

Blogs - Apple - Competitors - Photo - Comparisons

Now, if you only read tech blogs, you'd think Apple had fallen so far behind its competitors it was now like an embarrassing elderly relative, included in photo comparisons out of kindness.

Indeed, for this photo comparison I almost left the iPhone behind. My intention was to compare Huawei's approach to image processing with Samsung's more mature and (now) restrained approach. Samsung was once almost as brash as Huawei is today. But I'm glad I didn't.

Surprise - Cases - Apple - IPhone - XS

To my surprise, in many cases the Apple iPhone XS Max produced far more satisfying results. So, too, did the Samsung Galaxy S10+. The Huawei P30 Pro's results can be astonishing, and Huawei is correct to cite these use cases and claim no one else can replicate them (yet). But too often, in common everyday use cases, the results were artificial or deeply flawed.

Don't take my word for it – judge for yourself from the selection of samples I took with the three devices over the next few pages.

Note - Camera - King - Today - Google

Quick note. I would have liked to include the acknowledged camera king today, Google's Pixel 3 phone. But after we published this review of the Google Pixel 2 last year, Google has declined to send us any more review units.

The Register's piece discussed phone value in terms of the personal data that must be...
(Excerpt) Read more at: www.theregister.co.uk
Wake Up To Breaking News!
It's a fight to the death, which you will eventually lose...