‘Dumbo’ Costume Designer Colleen Atwood on Helping Tim Burton Create Disney Magic

Collider | 3/30/2019 | Christina Radish
Click For Photo: http://cdn.collider.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/dumbo-colleen-atwood-slice.jpg

From visionary director Tim Burton, the live-action telling of the beloved classic Dumbo celebrates differences while also exploring the importance of family, both by blood and by circumstance. When circus owner Max Medici (Danny DeVito) appoints former horse-riding star Holt Farrier (Colin Farrell) and his children (Nico Parker, Finley Hobbins) as the caretakers for the newborn elephant with the oversized ears, he has no idea that what initially makes him a laughingstock to audiences will also change their lives forever.

While at the film’s Los Angeles press day, Academy Award-winning costume designer Colleen Atwood spoke 1-on-1 to Collider for this interview about why her profession is still exciting after all of these years, what most intimidated her about working on Dumbo, what it takes to get so many hundreds of people dressed in one day, what would surprise people about being a costume designer, why she feels lucky to work with a filmmaker like Tim Burton, and how she approached the design for Eva Green’s aerialist character. She also talked about her work on the upcoming live-action Lady and the Tramp and the approach for the costume design, as well as being a part of the Disney legacy, in helping bring some of their classic characters to life.

Collider - Costumes - Film - Circus

Collider: The costumes in this film are just gorgeous, and I love the whole circus aesthetic.

COLLEEN ATWOOD: Oh, cool. Thank you!

Design - Hat - Time

You’ve been doing costume design for a long now. Does it ever get old hat, or is it still exciting, every time?

ATWOOD: It’s exciting, every time. The one thing that’s great about this business and this job is that it’s always changing and the technology is changing. And I meet new people, all the time, that have different skills. For me, it’s about that and the work, and I...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Collider
Wake Up To Breaking News!
It's a fight to the death, which you will eventually lose...