Premieres & Finales Rule Writing & Directing Emmy Categories, Comedy Showrunners Turn Helmers

Deadline | 7/14/2016 | Nellie Andreeva
Click For Photo: https://pmcdeadline2.files.wordpress.com/2016/07/jillsoloway.jpg?w=970

It is a trend that slowly has been building momentum over the past decade — comedy creators/showrunners also taking over directing and excelling at it. Sex and the City showrunner Michael Patrick King was one of the first to win an Emmy for directing in 2002. Eight years later, Glee co-creator Ryan Murphy won an Emmy for directing the pilot, Modern Family co-creator Steve Levitan won in 2012, and Transparent creator Jill Soloway won for her comedy series Transparent last year. Four of the five comedy series directing nominees last year were creators/ showrunners: Soloway, Silicon Valley‘s Mike Judge, Louie‘s Louis CK and Veep’s Armando Iannucci. This year, they represent five out of the 7 nominees, Soloway, Judge, Silicon Valley‘s Alec Berg, Master of None‘s Aziz Ansari and Veep‘s new showrunner Dave Mandel.

“I wanna thank me for hiring me as a director when no one else would,” Levitan quipped when accepting the directing prize in 2012.

Trend - Prominent - Drama - Side - Directors

The trend is not as prominent on the drama side, with professional directors still dominating the field, landing most of the nominations and almost all wins. J.J. Abrams and Alan Ball were rare...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Deadline
Wake Up To Breaking News!
It had only one fault, it was useless.