Jane the Virgin's Gina Rodriguez on How She Nailed That 7-Minute Monologue

TVLine | 3/28/2019 | Vlada Gelman
Click For Photo: https://pmctvline2.files.wordpress.com/2019/03/jane-the-virgin-monologue.jpg?w=619

Jane the Virgin EP Teases Final-Season Callbacks, Wedding and... Deaths?!

Upon first learning of the wordy sequence from showrunner Jennie Snyder Urman, Rodriguez said that she was more than up to the task. “I can definitely memorize a monologue. I went to theater school. I can memorize an entire play,” the actress said at the Television Critics Association winter press tour in January. “I was like, ‘All right, Jennie! Let’s do this!'”

Actress - Season - Opener - Rodriguez - Jennie

Then the actress found out that she would also be directing the season opener. “It was like, ‘OK. That’s going to be interesting,'” Rodriguez continued. “And then [Jennie] was like, ‘Let’s do it in a oner.’ And I was like, ‘Even better! Come on!’ So it was figuring out the choreography. It was figuring out the beats, making sure I was hitting everything, tonally, that Jennie wanted me to hit, as well as making sure that it all flowed organically, and you were able to see my mom and my grandmother at the same time, [and] at the same time stay with me and move with me… So it was a really great challenge.”

In the end, it only took five takes to nail the lengthy shot. “It’s a great dance between Gina and Rory [Robert Knepp], who did the steadicam, because they were so in sync,” Urman said. “But we could have put any one of the takes on TV. We were just choosing. It felt like I had an abundance of riches, because she gave us something...
(Excerpt) Read more at: TVLine
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Settled law: one party can't change a contract. Now if the Government, citizens and the Consstitution...