Huawei P30 Pro camera tops Galaxy S10 Plus two ways in our early tests

CNET | 3/26/2019 | Andrew Hoyle
katz1234 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cnet3.cbsistatic.com/img/_nErKBkk8c1HkONZK11WN6npoUM=/724x407/2019/03/25/19cdfaa3-4d15-477a-8472-935648ce32fd/blunderbuss-14.jpg

Huawei is hoping that the P30 Pro's four rear cameras have the imaging skills to take on the Galaxy S10 Plus' three-camera array. The P30 Pro starts with a 40-megapixel main camera, a 20-megapixel wide-angle lens and an 8-megapixel zoom lens with 5x optical zoom. Finally, a 3D sensor that is meant to improve bokeh mode. That's the depth effect used in portrait photos.

Meanwhile, the Galaxy S10 Plus has a 12-megapixel main camera, a 16-megapixel wide-angle lens and a 12-megapixel telephoto lens for 2x zoom. Of course, megapixel count doesn't indicate higher quality photos, so this camera test starts with both phones on equal footing.

Huawei - P30 - Pro - Galaxy - S10

What we really want to know is how well the Huawei P30 Pro and Galaxy S10 Plus take photos of architecture, food and low-light situations? When you're wandering the beautiful streets of Paris, which of these two phones will you want by your side? I took both of the new phones through the City of Lights to see which is the superior shooter.

Both phones have captured a vibrant image underneath this willow tree but the P30 Pro took much more detail in the shadows from the tree trunk itself.

Shot - Notre - Dame - Bit - Punchier

This wide shot of Notre Dame is a bit punchier on the S10 Plus, and the phone's wider-angle lens captured more of the scene compared to the P30 Pro.

But it's the zoom that really sets these two phones apart.

S10 - Zoom - Zoom - Details - Building

While the S10 zoom's 2x zoom helps close in on the details of the building, it's no match for the P30 Pro's 5x optical zoom or its huge 10x hybrid zoom, a mix of digital and optical, which let me get right up close to the Notre Dame's front. Even if I digitally cropped into the S10 Plus's zoomed shot of the building so it matches the Huawei's...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNET
Wake Up To Breaking News!