Joe Biden laments role in Anita Hill hearing

Mail Online | 9/3/1991 | Associated Press;Dailymail.com Reporter
Frost123 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/03/27/00/11500504-0-image-a-24_1553646060602.jpg

Click For Video: https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2017/04/27/4368650964185466771/1024x576_MP4_4368650964185466771.mp4

Former Vice President Joe Biden says he regrets he didn't give Anita Hill 'the hearing she deserved' when she shared her story of sexual harassment in the Senate confirmation hearings for Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas three decades ago.

Biden, who chaired the Senate Judiciary committee at the time, lamented Tuesday that Hill was forced to testify before 'a bunch of white guys' who didn't 'fully understand' her perspective.

Remarks - New - York - City - Event

He made the remarks at a New York City event honoring young people who helped combat sexual assault on college campuses.

Biden's role in the 1991 hearings is among his chief political challenges as he weighs a 2020 presidential bid.

Hill - Tuesday

He has since apologized to Hill, but went further Tuesday.

He says, 'I wish I could have done something.'

Time - Months - Biden - Regret - Anita

This is the third time in recent months that Biden has expressed regret over the Anita Hill hearing.

Last fall during the contentious confirmation hearings for Brett Kavanaugh, Biden told NBC News that he would tell Hill: 'I’m sorry I couldn’t have stopped the kind of attacks that came to you.'

Time - Kavanaugh - Christine - Blasey - Ford

At the time, Kavanaugh was being accused by Christine Blasey Ford of sexual assault.

Ford told the Senate Judiciary Committee on September 27 that she 'believed [Kavanaugh] was going to rape me.'

Kavanaugh - Judge - Supreme - Court

Kavanaugh, a former federal judge, was eventually confirmed to the Supreme Court.

In September, Biden joined calls by Democrats for an FBI investigation into Ford's allegations against Kavanaugh.

FBI - Investigation - Anita - Hill - NBC

'I think they should do an FBI investigation. We did that for Anita Hill,' he told NBC on September 21.

'Most importantly, Anita Hill was vilified when she came forward by a lot of my colleagues, character assassination.

Questions - Way - Them

'I wish I could’ve done more to prevent those questions and the way they asked them.'

Biden said he hopes that his Senate colleagues learned from that experience, 'learned from that she deserves to be treated...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Drove my Ford to the fjord, but the fjord was dry. . .