A La Carte (March 26)

Tim Challies | 3/26/2019 | Staff
Fubu_chik (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://www.challies.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/ALaCarte-NewspaperScript_2b-TUES-940x492.jpg

I’ve seen lots of evidence of this too. “When the water is poured again and they lean back after a dish is served to their friends. When they take a breath and their shoulders slump a little. After they’ve told me all of they’ve said of their current life, their work, their time, their goals. They don’t want to say it, for fear that admitting it will make them look weak.”

Sinclair Ferguson: “Yes, apostasy happens. Sometimes the catalyst is flagrant sin. The pain of conviction and repentance is refused, and the only alternative to it is wholesale rejection of Christ. But sometimes the catalyst is a thorn growing quietly in the heart, an indifference to the way of the Cross, a drifting that is not reversed by the knowledge of biblical warnings.”

Mom - Power - Sin - Death - Inability

“An overwhelmed mom who is set free from the power of sin and death is not condemned by her inability to keep her act together. She doesn’t need to feel trapped in a cycle of sinful reactions, because she fears God more than her circumstances. For the mom who feels bogged down by the pressures of life, she’s free to live with her mind set on the Spirit, which results in life and peace. We can escape the snare of these sinful patterns by meditating on the character and work of God.”

At the end of the day, I’m thankful there isn’t a straight line between sufficient prayer and a powerful sermon. And no, that doesn’t mean I advocate apathy. “I am concerned by the straight line that many want to draw between our prayers and the efficacy of our sermons. Is it true that our sermons...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Tim Challies
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: