The Church at Walmart

ChurchLeaders | 3/24/2019 | Staff
red815 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://churchleaders-eszuskq0bptlfh8awbb.stackpathdns.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/3.25.HOME_.CC.ChurchWalmart.jpg

I’m not ashamed to say that I spend many hours at Walmart in a given year—sometimes in just a month. Though it is not my favorite trip of the day, it is certainly one of the most convenient. Where else can I buy milk, t-shirts and motor oil?

And in some ways, Walmart can feel like a church; here’s what I mean.

Greeters - Goods - Services - Salons - Food

There are greeters: they welcome you and they thank you for coming. There are goods and services: from nail salons to fast food joints to bank branches. And there are multiple messages: signage tells me what is on sale, what season we are in and how to be prepared for the flu.

Unfortunately, most of us view our local church through the same lens that we view Walmart. Does this one have the goods and services I’m looking for? Does this church have the type of messages I’d like to hear? Does this one serve me and meet my needs? And does it do so with minimal amounts of time, effort and money required of me? If not, then we move on to Target.

Idea - Ministry - Soul - Church - Church

And while the idea of consumer-driven ministry is slowly stealing the soul of the church, what I’m more interested in is instead of us viewing the church as a trip to Walmart, what if we viewed Walmart as a trip to church?

Going to church is supposed to be a place to bring friends, greet others, share our faith, use our gifts, be generous, thank God and learn how to live like Jesus. Then we go to Walmart and we ignore others, are rude to cashiers, fight for a parking place and assume everyone else’s day is less important than ours.

Church - Behaviors - Building - Church

Most of us sequester our church behaviors to a building, but what if we took the church to Walmart?...
(Excerpt) Read more at: ChurchLeaders
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: