R.I.P. Larry Cohen, B-Movie Legend Behind ‘It’s Alive’, ‘Maniac Cop’, ‘The Stuff’ and More

/Film | 3/24/2019 | Chris Evangelista
Click For Photo: https://d13ezvd6yrslxm.cloudfront.net/wp/wp-content/images/larry-cohen-obituary.jpg

The movie world just lost an absolute legend. Larry Cohen, the prolific writer, director and producer behind some of the most unique, jaw-dropping, and utterly bonkers B-movies in history, has died at 77. Cohen began his career in television, breaking into films in the 1970s. Some of his many projects include The Stuff, It’s Alive, Maniac Cop, and Q.

Multiple outlets are reporting Larry Cohen has died, and that’s a damn tragedy. A part of me assumed Cohen would somehow beat the odds, and live forever. Cohen’s prolific career began in the 1950s, when he worked for NBC, learning how to write scripts in the process. During his time writing for television, he created the TV series The Invaders, and wrote episodes of The Fugitive, Columbo, Branded and anthology shows like Kraft Television Theatre and Kraft Suspense Theatre.

Cohen - Debut - Bone - Yaphet - Kotto

In 1972, Cohen made his feature directorial debut with Bone, starring Yaphet Kotto, Joyce Van Patten, and Andrew Duggan. The severely dark comedy focused on a rapist who breaks into a house in Beverly Hills, where he finds his hostages hate each other and want to task him with killing one another. Cohen always thought of the movie as comedy, but the distributor attempted to sell it as drama – which, in Cohen’s opinion, destroyed the film’s chances.

After Bone, Cohen entered into the blaxploitation genre, helming Black Caesar and **** Up in Harlem. As writer, director and producer of his films, Cohen did everything his way, staging dangerous stunts for his actors, and even shooting the films at his own house, so he wouldn’t have to venture to far. “I’m only interested in making movies my way,” he told the Village Voice. “Total freedom.”

Cohen - Horror - Story - Couple - Birth

Cohen broke into horror in 1974, with It’s Alive. The story focused on a couple who give birth to a killer...
(Excerpt) Read more at: /Film
Wake Up To Breaking News!
"Tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis