American Idol Recap: Did Your Favorites Survive Night 1 of Hollywood Week?

TVLine | 3/24/2019 | Andy Swift
Click For Photo: https://pmctvline2.files.wordpress.com/2019/03/american-idol-recap-3.jpg?w=620

The fact that Sunday’s American Idol ended with a contestant being rushed to the hospital feels on par with the vibe of Hollywood Week thus far. As we saw tonight, not even our favorites are immune to the occasional misstep — and the pressure is on.

Read on for a breakdown of how 38 memorable contestants fared in the first night of Hollywood Week:

STILL - IN - THE - COMPETITION

STILL IN THE COMPETITION:

* Laci Kaye Booth (Katy’s little “diamond in the rough”) breezed through to the Group Rounds with a stunning solo performance of Aretha Franklin’s “Natural Woman,” putting her own country twist on the classic song. Laci left Katy so overwhelmed with excitement that she had no choice but to throw a chair. Her group then sang Bruno Mars’ “Grenade,” and although the harmonies were a damn mess, Laci stood out as the quartet’s confident leader and remained in the competition. From that same group, the insanely likable Katie Belle was also put through, as was Laine Hardy, who’s really impressing me with how much his sound has matured since last season.

* - Judges - Audition - Shayy - Power

* After inspiring the judges with her first audition, Shayy once again displayed the power of perseverance during the Group Rounds. As hard as this may be to believe, Shayy had never heard Backstreet Boys’ “I Want It That Way” before, and her impaired vision made it difficult for her to learn the lyrics in such a limited time. But Shayy’s group members — including Demetrius Graham, who FaceTimed his mom for a sob-inducing performance of “Wind Beneath My Wings” — rallied around her, even wearing special glasses during their performance that replicated how Shayy sees the world. I was pleased that both of these singers (plus Assata Renay) made it through. Watch:

* Though we haven’t seen his group perform yet, Alejandro Aranda once again...
(Excerpt) Read more at: TVLine
Wake Up To Breaking News!