Ezzati defends his record as he steps down as Archbishop of Santiago

Crux | 3/23/2019 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://cruxnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/cbb6a9aa5f6d01113a77982719a2d1bd-1024x683.jpeg

ROME - Although a decision had been expected, it was still a surprise when the Vatican announced Pope Francis had accepted the resignation of Cardinal Ricardo Ezzati of Santiago, Chile, who faces allegations of having covered up cases of clerical sexual abuse.

However, Ezzati was defiant to the end, saying he wasn’t ashamed of anything.

Head - Allegation - Complaints - Office - Ezzati

“I leave with my head up high because every allegation that has arrived at the complaints office, that I opened myself in 2011, has been or is being investigated,” Ezzati told reporters after the announcement was made.

Regarding his willingness to cooperate with the Chilean justice system, the prelate said that the prosecutor had been allowed to examine any archdiocesan document he’d requested, and that he hasn’t testified yet because he’s appealing to his right to remain silent until the time to speak comes.

Doubt - Abuse - Crisis - Part - Time

“Without a doubt [the abuse crisis] has been the most painful part of this time,” Ezzati said. “But as I said, every allegation has been confronted and we’ll have to see what the justice system says. It’s not enough to accuse someone of covering up; it has to be proven.”

Earlier in the day, during the opening of Santiago’s pastoral year, the cardinal said that Francis had sent him a letter announcing his decision, in which the pontiff allegedly said: “Thank you for your example of strength. Thank you for remaining in this time of desolation awaiting your replacement.”

Today - Service - Conscience - Ease - Promise

“Today, as I conclude my service, with my conscience very much at ease and serene, I can tell you that I have been faithful to that promise, beyond the fragility in my lucidity and of the conscience that has to be very illuminated to make the right decisions,” Ezzati said.

The cardinal, who on Friday had a local court refuse his request to dismiss the case against him for...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Crux
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Woof!