‘Godzilla: King of the Monsters’: Kyle Chandler on the Impact of the Original ‘Godzilla’ Movies

Collider | 3/22/2019 | Matt Goldberg
moni (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://cdn.collider.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/godzilla-2-image-19.png

In August 2017, a group of fellow journalists and I got to visit the Atlanta set of Michael Dougherty’s Godzilla: King of the Monsters. In the upcoming film, which is set five years after 2014’s Godzilla, Monarch is more empowered to monitor kaiju activity, and must stop a villain and his group from using the kaiju as living atomic weapons.

During a break in filming, we got to talk to Kyle Chandler, who plays Mark Russell. Russell gets involved with Monarch because his wife, Dr. Emma Russell (Vera Farmiga) and daughter Madison (Millie Bobby Brown), are in danger while monitoring kaiju activity. In our conversation with Chandler, he talked about the scene he was shooting that day, how his character feels about the monsters, Chandler’s thoughts on the early Godzilla movies, working with Dougherty, being in a movie with giant CGI monsters, and more.

Conversation

Check out the conversation below.

Can you tell us about your character?

KYLE - CHANDLER - Something

KYLE CHANDLER: You ask me something specific, and I’ll tell you.

What’s he so upset about?

CHANDLER - Hours

CHANDLER: Long hours.

Why do you hate the Titans?

CHANDLER - Havoc - Family

CHANDLER: Because they’re mean, ugly, dangerous, and they’ve caused havoc with my family.

We saw the scene you’re shooting today, so we know your child has been abducted and you are in a station way out in the ocean. How does your character get to that point? What happens to him before we get here?

CHANDLER - Question - Scene - Scene - Sam

CHANDLER: So much. I can’t answer that question, I’m sorry. I don’t know exactly. I am so fried from doing the scene right now. I don’t know. It’s a scene where, yeah, Sam introduces me and tells me there’s more than just a few of these creatures. Then I’m introduced to the people who are the G team who are going out in search of not just these creatures and such but also helping...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Collider
Wake Up To Breaking News!