ISN’T LENT DEPRESSING?

Urban Faith | 3/22/2019 | Urban Faith Staff
nallynally (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://urbanfaith.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/LentDepressing-960x454.jpg

Even I ask myself: How can someone who lives with depression like such a depressing time of the church year?

Lent is my favorite liturgical season. I’m not exactly sure why.

Churches - Something - Church - Calendar - Years

I did and did not grow up understanding that many Christian churches follow something called a church calendar. My early years were spent in black Baptist churches that celebrated Easter and Christmas as holy days, but large swaths of spirituals, Sunday school and a row of black-suited deacons in-between.

In Catholic elementary school, I learned about Advent, Epiphany, Lent, Trinity Sunday and All Saint’s Day. I thought these were Catholic-specific things. Like confession and rosaries and the puffy white dress for first communion in second grade. Things I learned about, but couldn’t be a part of. Because I wasn’t Catholic. My parents said that I didn’t have to “give up” anything for Lent, if I didn’t want to.

People - Lent - Season - Easter - Sacrifice

This is how many people think of Lent. It’s this season before Easter where we focus on the sacrifice that Jesus makes for us on the cross. To honor this sacrifice, we too should experience a measure of sacrifice. Many people deny themselves of something. The proverbial chocolate. A bad habit. Foods filled with butter and sugar – that must be eaten up on Fat Tuesday (aka Mardi Gras). Some people understand these sacrifices as a kind of spiritual practice. These are ways to focus our energy and intent more upon our relationship wit the divine.

Other people decide to “take something on.” By picking up a good habit, being more who they are called to be, giving a good service to the world around them, they develop a spiritual practice that engages them more deeply in the world around them.

Way - Time - Introspection - Events

Either way, it is a time of spiritual introspection that is traditionally focused on the events...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Urban Faith
Wake Up To Breaking News!
He is faithful!