Aidy Bryant Takes Us Behind Filming Shrill's Empowering Fat Babe Pool Party

TVGuide.com | 3/22/2019 | Keisha Hatchett
Click For Photo: https://cimg.tvgcdn.net/i/r/2019/03/22/95999763-0e06-471f-8cb3-52038d9d8d34/thumbnail/1300x867/c656836cdaf281531b01e5ca5bdad2ad/190322-shrill-news.jpg

There's an unspoken rule that says certain body types are not worthy of being celebrated and Shrill, Hulu's delightful new comedy starring Saturday Night Live's Aidy Bryant, flies in the face of that.

Shrill follows Annie, a soft-spoken journalist who sets out to make some changes in her life while also dealing with the typical struggles of a millennial woman. Adapted from writer Lindy West's memoir Shrill: Notes from a Loud Woman, the series is a refreshing journey of self-acceptance as Annie grapples with letting go of the internalized shame she'd been carrying since childhood. It's a rare and honest portrayal of a fat woman learning to love herself where the focus isn't on her body, but rather the complicated relationship she has with herself.

Show

Discover your new favorite show: Watch This Now!

In one of the show's most empowering moments, Annie attends a Fat Babe Pool Party where carefree women of different shapes and sizes clad in colorful, scant bathing suits are seen eating, drinking and dancing to Ariana Grande's "One Last Time." At first, Annie is uncomfortable with the idea of showing off her body and chills on the sidelines with her margarita. It's the first time she's been exposed to a community of confident, plus-sized women who aren't fidgeting with their outfits or worrying about what others think. They're just existing, and having so much fun. Inspired by this, Annie eventually lets loose and joins in on the fun, stripping down to her swimsuit. It's a simple but effective moment of body positivity that,...
(Excerpt) Read more at: TVGuide.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Do I know who I am?