How to Live Sent in the Place You Call Home

Ann Voskamp | 3/22/2019 | Staff
applecup (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4821/32462038397_ca3f47883b_b_d.jpg

I didn’t learn how to live sent in the city. The concept was first put into practice, again and again, in our town of six traffic lights.

Two of the lights were on the Georgia highway that ran through.

Place - Ties - Pair - Eyes

Being new to a place and not having ties afforded us a pair of fresh eyes.

The other four were around the city square. It was a small town and a good place to grow up.

Family - Five—father - Sisters - Outsiders - Town

My family of five—father, mother, two younger sisters, and myself—were the outsiders in this family-rooted town. We stood out because we didn’t farm. We stood out because our grandmas, grandpas, aunts, uncles, cousins, and second cousins didn’t all live within a twenty-mile radius of the town.

But this didn’t keep our community from inviting us into their family gatherings. To gather at their table and let us share their grandparents.

Farmers - Corn - Pecans - Peas - Beans

And the farmers gave generously of their corn, pecans, peas, beans, cantaloupes, and watermelons.

My dad gave of himself as he officiated weddings, visited those in the hospital, and spoke at funerals.

Town - Traffic - Lights - Pastor - Family

This town of six traffic lights wanted a pastor, and we wanted an extended family.

Being new to a place and not having ties afforded us a pair of fresh eyes.

Set - Eyes - Family - Calendar - Dinners

And we could see differently with this set of eyes and no family around to keep our calendar full of dinners and celebrations.

We could plead the fifth as newcomers within a certain time period (which is determined by the culture in which one lives).

Number - Years - Fourth-grader - Cheerleading - Outfit

And we were considered new for a number of years. I mean, who knew as a fourth-grader wearing her first cheerleading outfit to Football Friday that a pair of bloomers was required? And who knew that a certain boy was your friend’s cousin when you kind of mentioned to her that you thought he was cute? Okay, I pleaded...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Ann Voskamp
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: