Helping a Family with Autistic Family Members

Biblical Counseling Coalition | 3/22/2019 | Pamela Gannon
marika (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://biblicalcounselingcoalition.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/BlogPic-3.18.2019.png

BCC Staff Note: Today’s post is the third article of a three-part BCC mini-series on Autism Spectrum Disorder. The goal of this series is to help you to understand the label of autism and equip you to minister to those labeled as autistic. In Part 1, Mark Shaw gave an overview of autism from a biblical perspective, and in Part 2 he provided guidance in counseling the person labeled autistic. Today, Pam Gannon discusses counseling the family of a person labeled autistic.

Autism. When our family first faced the diagnosis of our son with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), we were overwhelmed with many questions and concerns.

Happen - Child - Problem - Child - Kind

How did this happen to my child? Is this a physical or spiritual problem? What can I expect for this child? How will I do this? What kind of help will my child need? Will they ever go to school, have friends, get married, have a family, or get a job?… What is God doing?

Biblical counselors will likely be called upon to help families struggling with these and other questions. Let’s consider ways we can bring God’s hope and help to families in this situation.

Pain - Difficulty - Living - Brokenness - World

It is appropriate to acknowledge the pain and difficulty of living in the brokenness of the world. Families of autistic children face confusion and discouragement as they endure the day-to-day struggles. Like the Psalmists before them, they can bring their confusion, doubt, and questions to the Lord: “O people; Pour out your heart before Him;

God is a refuge for us” (Ps. 62:8).

Cares - Him

Encourage them to cast their cares on Him, because He cares for them. He knows. He understands!

“For we do not have a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but One who has been tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin. Therefore let us draw near...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Biblical Counseling Coalition
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: