Only the Humble See Heaven

Desiring God | 3/20/2019 | Jon Bloom
hakimi308hakimi308 (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://dg.imgix.net/only-the-humble-see-heaven-oxafb5x2-en/landscape/only-the-humble-see-heaven-oxafb5x2-3a1bd16c01a29223295d72b470f37557.jpg?ts=1553111880&ixlib=rails-3.0.2&auto=format,compress&fit=min&w=800&h=450

Why is humility so important to God? I mean, it’s really, really important to him. Listen to the kinds of things Jesus said:

Humble slaves rank first in God’s kingdom, only the humble childlike get into the kingdom, and the meek will be given dominion over the world. These are statements are so radical they sound nearly ridiculous.

Did - Just - Say

Did He Just Say That?

I wonder if we’re too familiar with these sayings. I don’t know about you, but I have found it disturbingly easy to dissociate theological truths I intellectually assent to from what I functionally believe (the ways I actually behave). If statements about humility like these don’t throttle us, I doubt we’re really hearing Jesus — given how much we are not like this by nature, given how unappealing serving is when we must actually sacrifice our own pursuits in order to do it, given how little we want to be regarded as childlike when it comes to how others actually think of us, and given how not meek we feel when someone else actually offends us.

Did - Stake - Kind - Humility - Kingdom

Did you catch what’s at stake? If this kind of humility doesn’t characterize us, we “will never enter the kingdom of heaven” (Matthew 18:3). It’s the same sort of statement Jesus made about those who aren’t born again (John 3:3). It’s the same sort of statement Paul made about the sexually immoral, idolaters, the greedy, drunkards, and revilers (1 Corinthians 6:9–10). Do you, by your behavior, put pride in the same category of seriousness as sexual sin? I think God considers pride to be worse. Nowhere in Scripture does God say the most sexually pure are the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

What is it about humility that God esteems so much? What’s so great about humility?

Question - Critics - Christianity - Ask

That’s a question many critics of Christianity ask. Some...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Desiring God
Wake Up To Breaking News!
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
Tagged: